Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Beginning...

Villa Mir Farm is a 70+ acre farm in northeastern Ohio. It was acquired by my parents in 1950, and has been the venue for many happy occasions, celebrations and great parties! Both Paul and Caroline have now passed away. In fact, they are buried next to one another in the cemetary that is adjacent to the property - when my father picked out the plot, he told us he picked on a little hill where he could keep an eye on things at the farm after he was gone!! Caroline lived there into her 90's, and it was her wish to see the land preserved and not sold to developers. My brother and I are working to make her wish a reality. It is our hope to restore the farm to some form of agriculture, and to keep it a place where our friends and their friends can gather and celebrate life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a city girl. I love everything about the hustle and bustle of urban life. I like my tall, skim, frap lite, no whip with splenda. I love rollerblading in central park. I smirk when I'm shoved by business people walking in suits with Nikes while talking into their head piece of their Motorola. I can't imagine a day without google, an hour without email, or 10 minutes without being buzzed by my blackberry. Sad isn't it? Then I met Kovac and went to this farm. Talk about being out of your element! Don't let me fool you. I'm from The Burgh (big city??). My uncle has a farm ... we roast pigs at picnics ... party hard at Steeler games, and drink IC Light at camp fires in my backyard. I actually had a pony growing up. Moving to CT and living so close to NY changed me. But spending less than 48 hours at Villa Mir brought me back to my roots for just a bit. I think that everyone needs to spend a day on a farm. A day? Maybe a week. A week to remember what life is supposed to be like. A week to run in woods (not the treadmill) and to drink coffee out of a mug (not a paper cup). To have a conversation with someone who is actually interested in talking more about you rather than talking more about them. To learn about generations and movements that came before you and generations and movements that will come after you. That's exactly what my experience at Villa Mir was like. Thanks for bringing me back. - J9

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home